Saturday, March 30, 2013

Mozzarella and Pesto Strata


We have been talking about eating less meat. We already try to do our Meatless Mondays but lately I have been looking for more tasty veggie recipes. This was my first Strata but it came out great. I added green onions and roasted my own green pepper. We had Basil Pesto leftover from Trader Joe's but as soon as my garden is going then I'd like to try to make that from scratch as well. You can really change the ingredients in this recipe to your tastes. I think I'll use sourdough bread next time and I'm thinking some grilled portobello mushrooms might be good.



Mozzarella and Pesto Strata

French Bread (sliced into ¾ inch slices)
Basil Pesto (about ½ cup)
Sliced Ripe Olives (1/2 cup, I used black)
Roasted Bell Peppers (12 oz. jar drained and sliced or one pepper oven roasted)
Mozzarella Cheese (2 cups)
Large Eggs (about 8)
Milk (about 2 cups)
Parmesan Cheese (1/2 cup)
Salt and Pepper to taste

1.                  Spray 9x13 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread one side of each bread slice with Basil Pesto.  Arrange bread, pesto sides up, in bottom of baking dish, cutting slices to fit if necessary.  Sprinkle with olives, bell peppers and mozzarella cheese.
2.                  In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper with a fork or wire whisk until well blinded. Pour evenly over cheese in dish.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but not longer than 24 hours.
3.                  Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake uncovered 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes clean and top is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment