Saturday, September 29, 2012

weekends

Last weekend was a lazy one. It was the first time I've have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off in over two years. Sure I took that one Friday off because I had such a badly sun burnt bottom, but not the whole weekend. I started off my lazy weekend with a red box trip.  Usually I try to get one funny movie and one moving movie but this time I picked The Raid: Redemption, Bernie and Friends With Kids. I had seen the previews for the first two and was hearing some chatter online and in my podcasts about how awesome Raid Redemption was so I wasn't going in blind. I choose Friends With Kids because it was written and directed by Jon Hamms long time girlfriend and if Don Draper loves her than I'm willing to give her a chance. All three movies were really good in different ways...
  Movie Reviews and Spoilers After The Jump...


There were moments in Raid: Redemption that I had to look away. This was made more difficult by the fact that the movie was subtitled and so a really violent scene where a knife is dragged through a guys leg would make you look away and then you just had to guess what they were saying about it. It was, by far, the best action movie I've ever seen. Guns, blood and kick ass fight scenes... a good time had by all.

I was not surprised that Bernie got a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. Jack Black gets to sing for most of the movie and Shirley MacLaine is at her best when she is being a cranky old lady. This movie is one that I'll recommend to people and they will make a face that implies that I'm crazy and then they will be proved wrong (but probably still look at me like that).

I really liked Friends With Kids. It had cute, mushy parts... funny, laugh out loud parts and I thought the actors did a really good job at playing couples. Everyone that I have mentioned this movie to has also said that they really enjoyed it. It's true that I will watch Jon Hamm read the phone book and give it five stars every time, but now I can't get enough of his lady: Jennifer Weslfeldt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment