Thursday, May 16, 2013

Take The Road Less Travled



This is an idea for a project that I have been wanting to do for a long time. I have been looking for an inexpensive landscape print at thrift stores and hadn't found one that I thought would be large enough so I got the idea to use an older map as my background. I already had a frame so I glued the map to poster board using the all powerful Mod Podge. Then I arranged sticker letters to form my saying. I wanted a quote that had something to do with travel because the background was a map. This quote being a variation of a Robert Frost passage. The letters that I used were removable so some of the edges weren't firmly stuck. I went over those edges with a little bit of glue stick.  I had to make two extra letter E's because the pack only came with three of each letter. After I had the letters where I wanted I took it outside and spray painted the whole thing, let it dry and then peeled the stickers off. Some of the map paper came up a little with the stickers but I liked the weathered look that it gave it. Handmade things shouldn't look too perfect.  I was going to seal it with another coat of Mod Podge but I liked the way it looked so I put it in the frame and now it hangs on my wall. I smile every time I look at it not only because of the sentiment but because I spent zero dollars on art that I made myself.


2 comments:

  1. Cute! I love working with maps, aren't they fabulous? Thanks for linking up to the Upcycled Linky Party at http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/05/upcycled-linky-paryt-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some extra maps and you're giving me some ideas. :) What a fun project. Saw you on the Upcycled Linky Party. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete